On Wednesday 19th August, the Warwick Friendly Society celebrated 20 years since the official opening of the Friendly Society Health Centre in Wood Street, Warwick.
Many Warwick-ites will remember the opening of the first centre which initially included the Condamine Medical Centre (CMC), Sullivan & Nicolaides Pathology, Southern Downs Dental and Warwick Physioworks.
The opening of this centre was the fulfilment of a vision by the 1990’s Board of Directors who endeavoured to bring Warwick’s medical services together in one easy to access location.
Initial meetings were held with six of Warwick’s general practitioners and several allied health professionals. After discussion it was agreed that this “umbrella” facility would be of great benefit to the Warwick community, so the Friendly Society purchased land on Wood Street and began the planning and building of the Warwick Friendly Society Health Centre.
The first tenant was the Condamine Medical Centre which was created from the amalgamation of three practices, Guy Street family Practice, Dr Ackermann’s practice and the Warwick Central Clinic.
The building was very well received and was awarded a Queensland Master Builders Award in 2001, the Condamine Medical Centre also won the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners Queensland Practice of the Year Award in 2005.
The new location was very successful for the Condamine Medical Centre, and after a few years, the Friendly Society’s neighbouring property allowed Southern Downs Dental and Physioworks to move to larger premises and CMC to expand. X-ray was also added to the list of services now provided in this precinct.
Initially the centre did not include a pharmacy, as PBS legislation did not allow it, but a new Friendly Society pharmacy opened after extensions were completed in February 2008.
The Warwick Friendly Society is a member owned, community not for profit organisation which operates two Guardian pharmacies, the Warwick Friendly Society Health Centre and other healthcare infrastructure to support the health of its members and the Warwick community. The organisation was formed in 1908.